I’ve got a quick tip for you today about your sales page and one thing you should probably stop saying on yours. This thing you’re saying might be hurting the potential customer experience and is a lazy marketing habit. It’s a simple change — it will take you just minutes, but will make an impact in your business! This tip comes from a mistake I myself made that my copywriter, Emily, pointed out to me. I think you might be making it too, so let’s fix it!
LISTEN TO THIS EPISODE NOW:
The Main Fix Your Sales Page Needs.
When you are selling products or services, you will likely have multiple calls to action or CTAs used throughout your marketing. A CTA is an opportunity to call people to take action based on what they are reading or seeing. You need to have a CTA on every page of your site to give users direction and showcase your offer.
Your specific call to action will be different depending on the page of your website that someone is viewing. On a sales page, for example, there might be multiple buttons they can click that will lead them to sign up for a free trial, join a monthly subscription, buy your offer, or inquire to work with you.
When it comes to your sales page, you need to stop saying ‘Buy Now.’ This is not the most effective call to action by ANY means, so don’t waste value copywriting space on this.
Three Reasons to Avoid Saying ‘Buy Now.’
- Saying the words ‘Buy Now’ on your sales page focuses more on what they are giving you, instead of what they are gaining from you. Having language that is more focused on the outcome they will experience when they buy is better for the overall experience.
- Saying ‘Buy Now’ reminds people that they have to part with their money in order to get the result you are promising. This can cause buying to feel like a negative action.
- It is boring and not strategic; there are better ways to call someone to action. You’re saying the most obvious thing, when there are better ways to approach it.
How I Learned to Avoid This Mistake
My copywriter was proofreading the copy I wrote for my Showit sales page templates, and in her Loom feedback video, she recommended I switch a ‘Buy Now’ buttons to something more aspirational. I understood that reminding people that they are parting with their money was ineffective and a waste of good copywriting space. Every inch of text we can get someone to read about our offer is valuable, so optimizing that space with effective copywriting is a no-brainer.
Ideas for What You Can Say Instead of ‘Buy Now’.
- Join today!
- ‘I’m ready to join ____’
- ‘I’m ready to change my business’
- ‘I’m ready to elevate my business’
- ‘Get my _____’ (course, template, workbook)
- ‘Unlock my offer’ (great for a sale period)
- ‘Enroll now’
- ‘Take the course’
- ‘Get my discount’
- ‘Learn more’ (great for inquiries)
- ‘Sign me up’
- ‘Select my plan’
- ‘I’m ready’
- ‘Let’s go’
It’s also important to remind people that as soon as they purchase, they get their offer and everything included with it. Think about how you can include words like, ‘Now’ and ‘Today’ in your CTA.
It is also helpful to put the words in the customers voice. For example, ‘I want the course’ or ‘get MY discount’. Remember that the text around your button is also part of your call to action and you can use it to support your marketing efforts. Go look at your own website, funnels, and email marketing funnels, to see where you are saying ‘Buy now’ and fix it!
Black Friday Is Coming…
Black Friday is just around the corner and kicks off on November 22! This is my BIGGEST sale of the year, and I’d argue that this Black Friday is the best yet. You’ll get my biggest sale on templates all year long plus some other perks and bonuses to help you build a successful website and business. Stay tuned for the details, and mark your calendar to shop on 11/22. Have questions? Need help picking a template? Message us at http://elizabethmccravy.com/contact!
November 15, 2022