It can be challenging to decide which website builder is right for you! From Showit to WordPress to Squarespace to Wix to Webbly to Blogger... the list goes on and on. Today, I'm comparing Squarespace with my favorite website platform — Showit.
Fun fact: I did the math, and in 2018, 60% of my 1:1 clients were switching to Showit from Squarespace.
Yep, switching TO Showit. Why? A lot of reasons… some of them were fed up with the limitations of Squarespace and wanted to be able to REALLY customize their websites, and others really loved the creativity Showit allowed.
I’ve designed on Squarespace before (I’ve actually built 2 old websites on the platform), so I’m definitely familiar with it.
You may or may not have heard of Showit. It’s definitely a newer website platform. I’m all hands on deck with Showit, and at the end of 2017, I started designing websites exclusively on Showit. Because I believe in it THAT MUCH. And, all my new website templates are exclusive to the Showit platform too.
So, let's dive into the difference between Squarespace and Showit!
What makes Showit unique:
- You don’t have to use HTML, CSS, Java or ANY code. EVER.
- Crazy amazing support right at your fingertips from real humans.
- You can actually customize everything you see.
- Most website builders don’t actually give you control over what the mobile website looks like. With Showit, you can customize the mobile website to be unique from the desktop version.
- Showit integrates with WordPress for blogging, so you can have power and flexibility of WordPress with the design freedom of Showit.
- Many website builders have standardized functionality, so you can definitely tell what it was built on. Showit let’s you make a site that’s totally unique to you.
- You can showcase your brand’s personality in a unique, dynamic, and creative way that you simply can’t with other website builders.
Showit Versus Squarespace
They definitely have their similarities, but you’ll quickly find that Showit allows more creative control and is easier to use. Showit also integrates with WordPress for blogging, which puts it over the top in the blogging game.
✔ They both are website builders that also host your website.
✔ Both have plenty of templates to choose from.
✔ Both have dedicated support staff.
Showit is actually drag and drop, and fueled by creative freedom. I can’t even tell you how many of my clients have switched to Showit after being uber frustrated by how little they can actually control on their Squarespace website. Squarespace works with modules that are fairly easy to edit, but you cannot actually customize everything.
On Showit you can customize your mobile website separately from your desktop website. This is incredible because let’s be real… sometimes you want LESS content (or slightly different content) on your mobile website. With Squarespace, things can look wonky on mobile, because you can only customize your desktop site. With over 63% of people regularly using phones to access your website, mobile is more important than ever.
Both platforms obviously have blogging. But, Showit integrates with WordPress for blogging, so you can have power and flexibility of WordPress with the design freedom of Showit. WOW, right?! By blogging with WordPress, you open the doors to unlimited optimization potential, SEO capabilities, and more.
Sqaurespace has more e-commerce capabilities built right in then Showit does. However, Showit can integrate e-commerce with ease. (My e-commerce template site is built on Showit.) If you have tons of products to sell, Showit might not be the right platform for you (or at least not for the e-commerce side of your business). For example, with my client Well-Watered Women, the main website and blog are on Showit, but the shop itself is on Shopify. Both integrate beautifully!
All in all, Squarespace is NOT a bad platform — obviously, that’s why we are talking about it! (I’ve even designed some sites on Squarespace!) But, I believe Showit is better. 😉
Steps to switch from Squarespace to Showit with a website template:
- Leave your current website up and running as is!
- Purchase a Showit website template.
- Follow the directions you’ll receive after purchasing your template to create a free Showit account and add your template.
- Customize your Showit website inside your free trial account of Showit. If you purchase an EM Shop template you’ll be guided through customizing every page of your website and launching over 7 days!
- Follow the steps in Showit to launch and migrate your website when you’re finished creating your website! Someone on the Showit team will take care of moving over your Squarespace blog posts to your new Showit designed WordPress blog.
- Put up your complimentary EM Shop coming soon page while you check your links and website one more time.
- Launch your Showit site to the world!
- Cancel your Squarespace hosting. THAT’S IT!