Commonality is KEY to any great relationship. Think about it… how many of your friendships have started with some sort of “Really? Me too!” conversation? I’m sure it’s plenty!
- “I’m a graphic designer.”, “Me too!”
- “I’m from Jackson, TN.”, “Me too!”
- “I love doing yoga.”, “Me too!”
- “I’m watching The Office right now.”, “Me TOO!”
Just like in meaningful friendships, customers are looking for brands that they have something in common with. Think about your absolute favorite brands. (Go ahead… I’ll give you a minute.) What do you have in common with them? Maybe it’s the values you hold, interests you seek, or maybe even something simple like the colors you like.
Take Whole Foods Market as an example. Whole Foods recently sold to Amazon for over $13 BILLION dollars, and it is a fortune 500 company. But, it’s just a grocery store after all. Whole Foods’ success is due to the fact that most loyal Whole Foods shoppers are connecting with the company on a deeper level - their environmental efforts, focus on organic food, friendly and helpful staff, and commitment to lifelong health.
How can your business make these same sorts of connections?
Two Major Ways to Connect:
- Shared values
- Shared interests
Let's dive into how to share these things...
So, how much is too much to share?
Your customers want to know you. They want to know that they can connect with you as the individual or team they will be working with. But, how much is too much? My advice: Think of your About Page like a first date. Share that level of information. On a first date, you probably wouldn’t dive into your childhood and your parent’s divorce, but maybe you would talk about what your favorite movie is and what you do in your spare time.
In my experience (and the experience of my clients), when sharing details about my personal life I’m able to have conversations with customers about our shared interests and values, and trust me - it’s pretty sweet!
Want some ideas for what to share? Answer some of these questions on your about page or blog!
- What are your favorite things? (food, drink, dessert, TV show, movie, book, place, hobby, etc.)
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What is your family is like? (Are you a mom to 3 running a business from home? It’s likely that your ideal client would like to hear about that!)
- What lights you up? (Do you really love homemade bread and ice cream? Do you do yoga daily? Talk about it!)
- What’s on your bucket list?
- What’s an “interesting fact” about yourself?
- What are your goals and dreams?
- How did you get to where you are today?
So how do I share that stuff?
Share about yourself with intriguing design. Don’t just type it out on your website… that’s boring! If your current About Page is just loads and loads of text, then I can guarantee you that most people aren’t reading it. Use interesting layouts and design to break up text in a way that is visually pleasing.
Where should I share about myself?
Answer: Anywhere you want to create a sense of commonality. Your website doesn’t need to be the only place where you share about yourself. Social media is a great place to do the occasional introduction and talk about the seemingly boring, not-so-glam parts of your life. You might just hear an astounding “ME TOO.” from your customers.
So, go on and SHARE! Revamp your About Page to be a place where you connect with your ideal client on a personal level!